I love my drive home from work on Thursdays. I drop off Ben (the boy I babysit) at his soccer practice and then I drive past the Houston Temple. I suppose there are faster ways to get home, but I love looking at this magnificent building.
(For those of you who don't know what a temple is, here is the definition I found on my Church's website, lds.org (click on the link for more information on temples):
"Temples are literally houses of the Lord. They are holy places of worship where individuals make sacred covenants with God. Because making covenants with God is such a solemn responsibility, individuals cannot enter the temple to receive their endowments or be sealed in marriage for eternity until they have fully prepared themselves and been members of the Church for at least a year. Throughout history, the Lord has commanded His people to build temples. The Church is working to build temples all over the world to make temple blessings more available for a greater number of Heavenly Father's children.")
Anyway, on my drive home today, I happened to get a red light at the intersection where the temple is. I didn't mind much, because it gave me more time to think about the temple. I am so excited to go to this temple in just a couple of months. I'll have the opportunity to receive my endowments, and then two days later, be married for eternity to the love of my life.
I am so grateful that I am blessed to live so close to a temple (both here in Houston, and in Provo). Temples provide so many opportunities to serve others and to receive blessings for ourselves. I know that many times, I have received answers to my prayers when I go to the temple, even when I'm just walking around the temple grounds.
The Primary song, I Love to See the Temple, completely describes my feelings.
I love to see the temple.
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I'll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.
I love to see the temple.
I'll go inside someday.
I'll covenant with my Father;
I'll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I've learned this truth:
A family is forever.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
I Love to See the Temple
Posted by Erin Despain at 5:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
3 comments:
I love to see the Temple too! In Portland it the Temple is right by the highway too, every time when we are in Portland I look forward to the time we come over the hill and get to see its spires reaching out through the trees...in the last several years they haven't cut back the trees as much so they hide the Temple more, it makes me a little sad :(
I love that you're so excited to go to the temple, and that you know how important it is. I'm excited to go with you!
So glad that the teachings of so many throughout the years have paid off. I love how excited you are to finally enter in those front doors, you know I'll be thinking of you those two days. :)
Post a Comment