CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The JKB has been redeemed!

School is in session once again. The first day of fall semester was September 2nd. I am taking 5 classes and they are only in 3 buildings: Eyring Science Center (ESC), Marvin Building (MARB), and Jesse Knight Building (JKB).

My first semester at BYU (Fall 2007), I had 2 classes in the JKB: Math and Student Development. Both were my absolute least favorite classes. Particularly Student Development. I had to take the class because I was in Freshman Academy. I and all the girls in my building (who were also in Freshman Academy) dreaded Tuesday and Thursday afternoons when we would reluctantly make our way to the JKB for the most pointless class in the history of pointless classes. Needless to say, I did not enjoy the time I spent in the JKB.

When I looked at my schedule this semester to determine what building I needed to go to, I was dismayed to discover that two of my classes were in the JKB. I was a bit worried that these two classes (New Testament and ASL 101) would inheritantly be bad because of the building in which they were held. Luckily, I have been very pleasantly surprised. I have ASL four times a week and I enjoy every moment of it. I have an amazing teacher for New Testament (the same teacher I had for Book of Mormon last semester). I can actually say that I now enjoy going to the JKB each day.

As for my other three classes, I'm enjoying them as well. If I had to pick a least favorite class, I would probably say Physical Science 110A. I have lecture 2 times a week, for 1-1/2hrs. Thanks goodness my professor is somewhat entertaining or else I would really have to fight off the temptation to take a nap. I have Physical Science lab for 2 hours every Monday...I think what we'll be doing is working on experiments and then doing lab writeups at home. This class will probably be the most difficult one for me due to the fact that it is science. But I don't think it will be too bad.

In case I haven't mentioned before, I've decided to minor in Family Life. Hence my last two classes: Strengthing Marriage and Family (a class on the Family: A Proclamation to the World) and LDS Marriage and Family (it counts as a religion class as well). My teacher for the Proclamation class is absolutely amazing. I had him last fall semester for Human Development. He is enthusiastic and just knows how to teach.

I am all moved into my apartment and I love it. I knew 2 of the girls from last year (they lived next door to me when we lived on-campus) and the other 3 girls were friends from before. Everyone really seems to be getting along really well. The girls I didn't know are very sweet and easy to live with. After church on our first Sunday here, we had a little roommate meeting of sorts to discuss some rules, chores, things we needed for the apartment, etc. We made 2 little chore charts-one with daily chores and the other with weekly chores. We rotate each day (or week) which chore we're in charge of. I love the name we came up with for the chore charts...."Contention Prevention!" haha! Isn't that creative? I love it. And I think it's really worked so far.

Once I'm finished decorating my room, I'll post some pictures of the apartment. I'm still waiting on a Texas flag to hang on my side of the room. :)

1 comments:

travelingtxmom said...

I do love the chart name, extremely creative and very apt. I'm glad you're enjoying your classes and getting back into the swing of things. I'll look forward to a picture of that Texas flag on your wall!